Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Happy Christmas?

            Okay, Thanksgiving is next week and I am totally looking forward to eating everything nutritionist say not to eat and then some. Thanksgiving is one of my most favorite holidays, but it seems to be getting bumped off the radar. Usually you'll see Thanksgiving trimmings, decorations and advertisements right after Halloween, but this year Christmas trees sat right next to the jack o' lanterns. I mean, really? It's not even Thanksgiving and I'm already Christmas themed anything tired out. With Christmas moved up the calendar to the end of October, I've noticed people stressed out about gifts and money. So, I thought I would take some time out to share some love nuggets. 
             First step to not totally losing your mind this holiday season is to take it one day at a time. I know that sounds really cliche, but deal with Monday on Monday and not on Friday. Deal with Thanksgiving this week and deal with Christmas when that comes around. You know the saying, "can't be in two places at one time", well, you can't be in two holidays at the same time.
            Step two to keeping your sanity or the little you may have is know your limits. Knowing you limits not only applies to physical ability, but financial as well. Like this year I told all of my family that they were getting love for Christmas. I mean that's the meaning of Christmas anyway, why not emphasize that.If you don't have the money but have the time, go volunteer at a shelter. Helping people that are less futunate than you are helps you put things in perspective. If you really feel like you have to give to friends and family, buy a box of  Christmas themed stationary and let them know how much they mean to you. I have financial limits this year, because of the new baby coming and the lack of income that we'll have due to me being out in the coming months. Like James Brown put it so eloquently, "Santa Clause go straight to the ghetto!" Also, all that house hopping for Christmas, I don't feel like it this year. Physically, that's very tasking to go from house to house just so Aunt so-and-so can see the kid.
           Last but definitely not least, enjoy yourself. Have fun. The holidays are a time to spend with friends and family. This is the time of the year to eat foods you don't get to have any other time of the year. I say eat, drink and be merry. If this is the time of the year you get to see family you don't get to see all year, be each others gift.
          In closing, do what's going to make your holiday happy and bright. Don't succumb to all of the commercial pressure to buy things you know you can't afford, to calorie count and to host relatives you would rather not. As I sip my apple cider and listen to the Temptations sing "Silent Night", I bid you all Happy Holidays. Give love this holiday season and be receptive to it. Like I always say, be kind and kindness will find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment