Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Integrity

        There has been a lot of bad news out there that pertains to us regular folk. The recent reccession, government shutdown, the doing away with necessary programs that help the less furtunate. All of which makes you want to hold tight to your job. The jobs that we have allow us to pay bills, take care of our children, keep a roof over our heads and clothes on our backs. Some of us work just for those simple facts and others that are lucky enough do excactly what it is that they love. No matter if you are working at a coffee shop, a bank or a television station chances are you have a boss and that boss has a boss. What I have figured out in the time that I have been in the workforce is that some of these bosses are great. The boss that knows what he or she is doing and knows how to get the best from their workers. Then there's the other kind of boss. The boss everyone daydreams about giving a "good talking to" and more times than not worse. I can say that I have encountered both. Life is easy when you have someone that communicates well and respects you as a person. Oh, but when you have to deal with a jerk....... it makes you want to go all DMX on them.
        I have seen bosses go off and yell and scream and pitch fits and nobody says anything. I had a co-worker of mine be told to "sit down and shut up". She of course didn't say anything, but was bothered by it the rest of her work day and the day after. What would have made her just sit there and take verbal abuse? The answer is fear. Yes, fear. Fear of losing her job, not being able to pay her bill, live the life she had been living because the money is good. I can't say that I don't understand her point, but there comes a time when you have to stand up for yourself. There is no job, I mean not one that is worth sacraficing of your integirty. That is something that is priceless, it can't be bought. Just like you got that job you have now, you can get another. You have to have faith in your capabilities. I'm not saying to be proud or boastful, but be fearless. If you have to get another job, then do so, but don't be anyone punching bag. So, what would I have done in that situation you ask? If I were ever told to sit down and shut up, I would first try to calm down. Then say "Who the hell do you think you talking too!!!!" No, I'm Just kidding. I would make it very clear that I am not to be talked to like that not now, not ever. And if that happens to not work, then another job may be just the thing for you.
     Like I said before, integrity is something that can't be bought or sold. As an employee you will never be paid, treated or given the praise that you deserve, but being talked down upon, abused, stressed and overwork and underpaid isn't something that you deserve. I'm not self-employed and I know as long as I work for someone else I have to play by their rules, but I will not be a pee-on. Remember stand up for yourself, demand respect, give respect and stick to your boundaries. Until next week, be kind and kindness will find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment